Type 2 diabetes is a serious metabolic disease associated with an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, blindness, cancer and Alzheimer’s. Recent scientific studies show that diabetes & other modern lifestyle diseases can be prevented and even reversed with sustainable life changes that focus on fixing the underlying causes.
Who is it for?
- Type 2 Diabetics
- Prediabetics. Have you been told you have this? It is defined as having an HbA1c blood test of 6-6.4%. Over 70% will go on to develop full type 2 diabetes in the next 5-10 years.
- Metabolic syndrome. Are you overweight or have an increased waist circumference? Do you have high blood pressure, an abnormal cholesterol profile or higher than normal blood sugars? Maybe you have a family history of type 2 diabetes. If you have 3 or more of these risk factors you have an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- For people who are motivated to look after their health with lifestyle interventions.
How will you benefit?
We will give you the most up-to-date information and the tools to improve your health markers with sustainable life changes. Topics covered will include nutrition, physical activity, the role of sleep and stress as well as looking at relationships with food.
The programme will empower you to:
- Take control of your health
- Reverse your diabetes/prediabetes or reduce your risk of developing diabetes
- Lose weight and reduce your waist circumference as necessary.
- Reduce blood glucose levels, reduce blood pressure and improve your cholesterol profile
- Reduce the risk of developing further health complications such as eye disease, kidney failure, heart disease & stroke.
- Reduce medications (with supervision from your GP)
- Learn about the health benefits of exercise, reducing stress & the importance of sleep.
What makes this course different?
We understand that making long-lasting lifestyle changes can be difficult and believe that psychology plays a crucial role. We will help you to explore your relationship with food, look at the nature of cravings & addiction, talk about the toxic environment we live in, and how to create healthier habits. By looking at the psychology behind the cycle of change you will be prepared for and fully supported as you make healthier and sustainable lifestyle choices
The course is based on the latest research and reflects the current official guidelines. It will be led by a Registered Dietitian, Chartered Physiotherapist & Cognitive therapist
The course is run in a friendly, fun and non-judgemental environment. It includes a recipe book to help you on your way and each week we bring samples of delicious, healthy foods for you to try.
Outline of contents
- A health crisis? Are we all just lazy & eat too much
- A look at what are & what causes poor metabolic health, obesity, metabolic syndrome, prediabetes & type 2 diabetes.
- The complications of poor metabolic health, prediabetes & diabetes
- Health markers explained
- Introduction to a food diary & how to use it.
- The psychology of change & the difficulties faced when making sustainable lifestyle changes.
- Dietary macronutrients
- Different dietary approaches and their advantages & disadvantages
- The Glycaemic Index & Glycaemic load
- Identifying carbohydrate in foods
- Making a start with dietary changes
- Food substitutions
- Continuing with the theme of transition & change
- Top tips & possible side effects
- Alcohol on a low carb diet
- What about sweeteners & supplements?
- Recipes & meal plans.
- Different types of fat and how they are found in real foods. Why they have been demonized.
- The role & importance of cholesterol
- What causes heart attacks & strokes? The latest hypotheses.
- Making it work, resistance to change, how preconceived ideas & beliefs hinder us.
- Using a glucose meter
- The health benefits of physical activity
- Why do we overeat & eat the wrong things?
- The psychology of over-eating
- “Why am I not losing weight?”
- The importance of sleep & reducing stress
- Looking ahead & the importance of ongoing support
- Preventing & dealing with relapse
The results so far have been very exciting. All participants with diabetes or prediabetes reversed their conditions coming off diabetic, blood pressure and other medications. In addition, participants who needed
“I was afraid of going blind because of my diabetes!
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 12 years ago and recently developed serious eye complications, which I was told could lead to blindness. Thrive gave me the tools to take back control of my health. My eye condition has now significantly improved, I have reversed my diabetes, come off diabetic medication and lost a stone in weight.”
Ralph Parry (St Albans)
“The Thrive Course has literally been
I’ve been overweight for many years and was diagnosed with prediabetes a few years ago. I’ve now reversed the prediabetes and my blood sugars are in a normal range. I’ve lost a stone in weight, three inches from my waistline and the migraine headaches I’d suffered daily for over thirty years are gone. General aches and pains are vastly improved, I sleep better and have more energy than I have had in a long time. I highly recommend Thrive to anyone whose health is at risk from obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes or is pre-diabetic as I was.”
Alexis (St. Albans)
“No longer prediabetic and off medication!
I was diagnosed in April 2018 as being pre-diabetic, with high cholesterol which frightened the life out of me, together with
Alison ( St Albans)
The programme consists of a 1:1 consultation followed by a FULL DAY on a Saturday and then 6 two-hour sessions 7-9pm all on Wednesday evenings. It includes supervision from three experienced health professionals plus an information pack and recipe book that supports the programme. The group size will be 8-10. If you can’t make a session we offer a 30 min catch-up session on a Thursday at 7pm.
Following completion of the
VENUE: Redbourn Parish Centre, Conference Room
Dates for the next course are provisionally below:
- Saturday 9th Feb. 9am-4pm FULL DAY. Please bring your own lunch, coffee, tea & snacks provided.
- Wednesday 13th Feb. 7-9pm
- Wednesday 27th Feb. 7-9pm
- Wednesday 6th March, 7-9pm
- Wednesday 20th March, 7-9pm
- Wednesday 27th March, 7-9pm
- Wednesday 10th April, 7-9pm
COST: £450 in total. This includes a deposit of £150 to reserve a place and then two £150 monthly
For further details please contact Redbourn Physiotherapy on 01582 794441 or email: email@example.com