Many health conditions such as obesity, prediabetes, type 2 diabetes, dementia and osteoarthritis can be prevented, improved and even reversed by making sustainable lifestyle changes that focus on fixing the underlying cause. At Redbourn Physio we are committed to helping our clients improve their health and we are now offering this lifestyle course under the umbrella of the Public Health Collaboration, a charity whose mission is to improve public health. There will be a small fee to cover costs.
Next Thrive Session Details 2024
Dates & Time: Mondays evenings 7-9pm to start on Monday Feb 5th for eight consecutive weeks.
Who is it for?
- For people who are motivated to improve their health
- For people who are overweight or obese
- Metabolic syndrome. Are you overweight or have an increased waist circumference? Do you have high blood pressure, an abnormal cholesterol profile or higher than normal blood sugars? Maybe you have a family history of type 2 diabetes. If you have 3 or more of these risk factors you have an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Prediabetes. Have you been told you have this? It is defined as having an HbA1c blood test of 6-6.4%. Over 70% will go on to develop full type 2 diabetes in the next 5-10 years.
- Type 2 Diabetes
How will you benefit?
We will give you the most up-to-date information and the tools to improve your health markers with sustainable life changes. Topics covered will include nutrition, physical activity, the role of sleep and stress as well as looking at relationships with food.
The programme will enable you to:
- Lose weight and reduce your waist circumference
- Improve or even reverse your condition
- Reduce the risk of developing further health complications such as cardiovascular disease & cancer.
- Reduce medications with supervision from your GP
- Optimize your immunity
What makes this course different?
We understand that making long-lasting lifestyle changes can be difficult. We will help explore your relationship with food, look at the nature of cravings and addiction, and how to create healthier habits.
The course is based on the latest research and reflects current official guidelines. It will be led by a health care professional.
The course is run in a friendly, fun & non-judgemental environment. It includes recipes and each week there will be samples for you to try.
Outline of contents
- Understanding the causes of lifestyle diseases such as obesity, metabolic syndrome, arthritis, prediabetes and type 2 diabetes
- Health markers explained
- Different dietary approaches
- Identifying carbohydrates & carb counting
- Alcohol & sweeteners
- Making sustainable dietary changes
- Recipes & substitutions
- Appetite awareness
- Eating out
- The importance of dietary proteins & fats
- The health benefits of physical activity
- Heart health
- Why do we overeat?
- The importance of sleep
- Stress explained
- Preventing & dealing with relapses
The results so far have been very exciting. Most participants with diabetes or prediabetes reversed their conditions coming off diabetic, blood pressure and other medications. In addition, participants who needed
“Best thing I’ve ever done!”
Kev, (lost 2 and half stone)
“I was afraid of going blind because of my diabetes!
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 12 years ago and recently developed serious eye complications, which I was told could lead to blindness. Thrive gave me the tools to take back control of my health. My eye condition has now significantly improved, I have reversed my diabetes, come off diabetic medication and lost a stone in weight.”
Ralph Parry (St Albans)
“The Thrive Course has literally been
I’ve been overweight for many years and was diagnosed with prediabetes a few years ago. I’ve now reversed the prediabetes and my blood sugars are in a normal range. I’ve lost a stone in weight, three inches from my waistline and the migraine headaches I’d suffered daily for over thirty years are gone. General aches and pains are vastly improved, I sleep better and have more energy than I have had in a long time. I highly recommend Thrive to anyone whose health is at risk from obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes or is pre-diabetic as I was.”
Alexis (St. Albans)
“No longer prediabetic and off medication!
I was diagnosed in April 2018 as being pre-diabetic, with high cholesterol which frightened the life out of me, together with
Alison ( St Albans)
Consists of eight, 2-hour sessions led by a healthcare professional.